The responsibility for the continuation of Jewish life in Ballarat has fallen to a dedicated few, who alone cannot maintain the complex of buildings. Since the death of our last full-time minister in 1941, we have been fortunate in always having someone to officiate at services and keep the flag of Judaism flying.
Complete restoration was undertaken for the 1961 centenary celebration, which was supported by the generosity of people and congregations all over Australia. Ballarat is an inspiring example of what can be achieved by a small community with dedicated leadership.
With the restoration of the synagogue and improvements in the hall, kitchen and other facilities, great interest has been rekindled in Ballarat as a venue for Jewish activities by Melbourne metropolitan groups.
The synagogue is the oldest operating one on mainland Australia and is undoubtedly one of the most precious buildings associated with Australian Jewry.