Ballarat Synagogue: built on gold

Ballarat Synagogue is closely linked with the history and growth of the district. Gold, found in Ballarat in 1851, lured young men of the Jewish faith from around the world.

The synagogue is one of the most precious buildings associated with Australian Jewry. Its first president was Charles Dyte, a leading member of the community, who took a prominent part with Peter Lalor in obtaining justice for miners following the Eureka rebellion in 1854.

Dyte laid the foundation stone of the present synagogue in 1861.

Historic importance

The synagogue is classified by the National Trust of Australia and has been recorded as a historic building that must be retained.

Facing Aron haKodesh from men's seating

WHAT WE OFFER


contacts


  • President

    John Abraham
    Mob: 0414 714 851
    Tel: 03 5333 4941

  • Secretary

    Bernard Stone
    Tel: 03 5332 1271

  • Chazan

    Max Lasky
    Mob: 0418 335 446
    Email: maxhsj@gmail.com

    Alan Jacobs
    (Rosh Hashanah leader)

  • Ba’alei Koreh

    Ami Even-Chaim
    Shimshon Marom

 

 

 

 

 

  • Treasurer

    Harry Cook

  • Website administrator

    Gary Mallin
    Mob: 0430 043 706
    Email: gmallin@iinet.net.au

GET IN TOUCH

Fill The Form Given Below To Get In Touch With Us. We Will Get Back To You Soon!

error: Content is protected !!